7. What are suggestions to share with parents (and families) on how they can support their child as a reader and writer?
· Read to children! There is no better way to help a child (big or small) then to read to them or with them.
· Empower children by allowing them to choose the books they want to read based on their interests.
· Surround children with a variety of fiction and non-fiction books. Sometimes, this just means making time for frequent visits to the library.
· Encourage children to read everywhere! There are many opportunities to read in the grocery store. Just check out the cereal and greeting card aisles.
· Encourage the children in your life to ask “Why?” and then find the answer through reading.
· Model good behavior and get caught reading! Show children you value reading.
· Congratulate students personally and publicly for academic achievement – every chance you get. Expect them to do their best in and out of school.
· Talk to the children in your life! Give them positive reinforcement and make certain they know that you are there for them.